In no particular order…
- Sean Carroll, From Eternity To Here; he also has a great blog and podcast on all thing theoretcial physics
- Richard Dawkins, namely Blind Watchmaker and God Delusion
- Cixin Liu, Dark Forest (and the full Three Body Problem series)
- George RR Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire (i.e. Game of Thrones)
- Michael Pollan, How to Change Your Mind
- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
- Orson Scott Card, Enders Game
- Yuval Noah Harari, Sapiens
- Safi Bahcall, Loonshots
- DFW, Infinite Jest
- Pierce Brown, Red Rising series
Favorite materials in AI & SW
On probabilistic ML:
- Ghahramani’s intro in Nature
- Roger Grosse course on flexible models of uncertainty
- Probabilistic programming intro tutorial paper and Frank Wood video
- Books: Daphne Koller’s PGMs, Chris Bishop’s Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning, Norvig & Russell, MacKay’s Information Theory
- Write code that is easy to delete
- Design for testability and How to test
- Books: Effective Python (and Effective C++), Clean Code and Pragmatic Programmer, Mythical Man Month
- PyCon videos are a great resource, as are all Kate Gregory talks from CppCon, and Jason Turner’s C++ weekly
- 30+ half marathons before turning 30
- With CMU Robotics and Astrobotic, I led the development of a lunar rover to 1st place $1.75M in the Google Lunar XPrize competition.
- Private pilot license
- Designed, built, and tested a custom attitude control system for flux-pinning cubesat
- Certified yoga instructor
- Captain of D1 golf team (at Cornell)
- Forbes 30 Under 30 in Science
- Bootstrapped my own AI and SW journey, starting with a few mobile robot algorithms.
More work things
People find this helpful: Working with Alex
Beyond my main work…
Lending expertise in AI/ML and software systems:
And informally for those who ask kindly.
Focus on deep-tech with fundamental advances in AI/ML and data.
I’m a FundRX investment fellow, focusing on AI-enabled and data-first healthcare technologies.
With SpaceAngels I invest in companies pursuing the next frontier to improve life here on Earth.
Other areas I’m interested in include novel compute hardware and substrates (i.e. neuromorphics) for “Software 3.0”.
Personal: Hacking with Raspberry Pi, projects from autonomous mobile robots to a private DNS server for blocking internet ads 🤓
Consulting: Yes I can build your AI thingamajigger ➡ lavin.io/consulting