In no particular order…
Richard Dawkins, namely Blind Watchmaker and God Delusion
Cixin Liu, Dark Forest (and the full Three Body Problem series)
George RR Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire (i.e. Game of Thrones)
Michael Pollan, How to Change Your Mind
Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Orson Scott Card, Enders Game
Yuval Noah Harari, Sapiens
Safi Bahcall, Loonshots
DFW, Infinite Jest
Favorite materials in AI & SW
On probabilistic ML:
- Ghahramani’s intro in Nature
- Roger Grosse course on flexible models of uncertainty
- Probabilistic programming intro tutorial paper and Frank Wood video
- Books: Daphne Koller’s PGMs, Chris Bishop’s Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning, Norvig & Russell, MacKay’s Information Theory
- Write code that is easy to delete
- Design for testability and How to test
- Books: Effective Python (and Effective C++), Clean Code and Pragmatic Programmer, Mythical Man Month
- PyCon videos are a great resource, as are all Kate Gregory talks from CppCon, and Jason Turner’s C++ weekly
More work things
People find this helpful: Working with Alex
Beyond my main work…
Lending expertise in AI/ML and software systems:
And informally for those who ask kindly.
I’m a FundRX investment fellow, focusing on AI-enabled and data-first healthcare technologies.
With SpaceAngels I invest in companies pursuing the next frontier to improve life here on Earth.
Other areas I’m interested in include novel compute hardware and substrates (i.e. neuromorphics) for “Software 3.0”.
Personal: Hacking with Raspberry Pi, from autonomous mobile robots to a private DNS server for blocking internet ads 🤓
Consulting: Yes I can build your AI thingamajigger. Shoot me an email.